Re: Oracle Server on DOS?

From: Richard Holowczak <holowczk_at_rwja.umdnj.edu>
Date: 3 Feb 93 16:56:07 GMT

jlunny_at_eco.twg.com (John Lunny) writes:

>Is there an Oracle Database server product for DOS?

     No, there is no multiuser DOS version of Oracle.  There are
     single user versions for both DOS and OS/2.  Oracle has "server"
     versions for Novell Netware and OS/2 on the Intel platforms.

>If so, is there a procedure call or embedded SQL interface to the
>database for the C programming?

      Most copies of the database "Tools" come with C libraries
      called PRO*C.  A pre-compiler is supplied so you may use
      embedded SQL statements, "Pre" compile them into C function
      calls and then compile them with you Microsoft or Lattice C
      compiler.

>If so, is there a Windows Application builder for the database?

      You can embed SQL code in Windows programs as well. This only
      works with Microsoft products as far as I know.

>If so, are there any other such database server products?

       I don't think any of the heavyweight RDBMS vendors have a DOS version
       of their server software.  Usually they use OS/2 (MS SQL Server) or
       Netware (Oracle, Sybase, . . .)

>Thanks...
>--
>John Lunny
>The Wollongong Group
>jlunny_at_eco.twg.com

Rich Holowczak holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Rutgers University
Ph.D. Computers and Information Systems Program Received on Wed Feb 03 1993 - 17:56:07 CET

Original text of this message