Re: Forms Tuning: Index Problem

From: Schillinger <rz34_at_rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: 3 Feb 93 09:10:58 GMT

In article <1993Feb2.034136.26224_at_oracle.us.oracle.com>, mfriedma_at_uucp (Michael Friedman) writes:
|> In article <1kbieoINNc96_at_nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> rz34_at_uni-karlsruhe.de writes:
|>
|> >Hi!

|> >I'm looking for some help in a bit of performance tuning on
|> >a Forms 3.0 form. I think the problem lies in my indices.

|> >Background: Oracle v. 6.0.34.2.1, SQL*Plus v. 3.0.11.1.1, PL/SQL v. 1.0.34.0.1
|> > SQL*Forms v. 3.0.16.8.1, and operation system Unix on a
|> > HP/UX 9000 Series 800.

|> >My form has as its base table a view:

|> >create view person_view as
|> >select u.user_id, u.user_pnr,p.lastname,p.firstname,p.title,p.telefon,
|> > p.str,p.city,p.institut_name,p.room,i.institut_name_1
|> >from institute i, person p, userid u
|> >where u.user_pnr = p.pers_nr(+) and
|> > u.inst_nr = i.inst_nr

|> >(The reason for the outer join is that a person may have more than
|> >one userid.)
|>
|> It's always a bit hard to tell from this kind of information, but
|> won't you get the multiple userids even if you don't have the outer
|> join? As far as I can tell, the outer join will get you any
|> user-institute pairs that are not linked with people. This doesn't
|> seem to be what you want.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it had been so long since I'd created that view, I'd forgotten what the outer join was for. It is NOT, as I said previously, because a person may have more than one userid. You are right: it got me userinstitute  pairs not linked with people.... and that was NOT what I wanted. (I didn't create the tables and was at the time trying to cover some inconsistencies in data.)

Thanks also to David Hazledine who thought that a predicate referencing a column from an outerjoin table always causes ORACLE to perform a full table scan.

I removed the outer join and my performance increased greatly!

Thanks again!
Karen Schillinger Received on Wed Feb 03 1993 - 10:10:58 CET

Original text of this message