Re: Oracle and Floating Point Processors

From: Thomas Cox <tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com>
Date: 2 Feb 93 09:02:27 GMT

bartho_at_cc.und.ac.za (Ray Bartho) writes:

>Many unix systems have the option of purchasing a Floating Point processor
>as an add-on to the normal processor board e.g. HP PA-RISC, 386 based
>systems, etc.

  [...]

>3. To what extent will this increase the performance of Oracle ?

I can only answer this indirectly. I have dealt with this issue in regard to MS-DOS and other Desktop versions of the ORACLE RDBMS. From what I learned talking with various support people, the answer to #3, is "not much if any improvement, certainly nothing noticeable".

Since the core of the ORACLE RDBMS is (supposed to be) the same code on all platforms, then this should be true of ORACLE on Unix.

This info was current for versions 5 and 6 of ORACLE and is probably true of 7 as well. YMMV, VWP.

>Ray Bartho Phone : (031) 816-2468
>University of Natal Internet : bartho_at_cc.und.ac.za

 -Tom

--
Thomas Cox      DoD #1776   '91 CB 750 Nighthawk   tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com
    The Platinum Rule:  "Do Unto Others As They Want To Be Done Unto"