buffer busy waits and busy wait time statistics in V7

From: Cyrus Foughty <cyf_at_sequent.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 93 00:42:17 GMT

I am running some queries that require full table scans. Multiple queries going after four different tables, but several queries going after the same data in the tables. Running "monitor statistics" I notice the two fields "buffer busy waits" and "busy wait time" are registering some numbers that I didn't expect.

Question: If multiple queries are going after the same buffer to READ ONLY, will Oracle cause a lock or a wait while one of the queries is reading that buffer, thus preventing another query from reading the same buffer?

Also, what should I expect for the two fields in the "monitor statistics" screen that I previously mentioned?

Or am I lost in the woods? without a sweater...no food...dark...raining.

Cy

--
Cy Foughty
Sequent Computer Systems, Dallas, TX  MaBell: 214.661.1900