Why are CASE*Designer windows disappearing on Aviion DG-UX?

From: William L. Pribyl <wlp_at_hounix.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1993 23:54:33 GMT

I am attempting to configure CASE*Designer 1.1.21.1.2 on a standalone Data General Aviion 310 workstation running DG-UX 5.4.2 with X11R5. Oracle version is 6.0.36.2.1.

The "flying grid" comes up but when I attempt to start the ERD, FHD, or DFD tool, the screen flashes with the outline of the tool's window and then disappears; the flying grid remains onscreen. Interestingly, the Matrix Diagrammer seems to work fine. The Menu and Forms-based tools seem to work OK, but can't all be invoked from the flying grid.

I got the bright idea to relink the CASE executables, but I got the following from the "make -f cdes.mk ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_HOME" command:

    undefined                       first referenced
    _XShapeQueryExtension               /lib/libXaw.a[Command.o]
    _XShapeCombineMask                  /lib/libXmu.a[ShapeWidg.o]

I rewrote the make file to look in /lib/libXext.a and the above symbols resolved. However, I still had the "disappearing window" problem. My TARGET_BINARY_INTERFACE is set to m88kdguxcoff.

Have had slightly better luck in invoking the ERD and FHD from a PC running the Hummingbird Exceed/W X emulator (networked with the Aviion). The screens come up, and I can open a new diagram, but when I attempt to draw an object the screen disappears. The DFD behaves similarly.

Is the problem that I am running release 5 of X11? Are there any known workarounds?

Would appreciate help...Please email responses to bill_at_datacraft.com

Thanks,
--Bill

--

William L. Pribyl/Independent Oracle Consultant; Editor, IOUG Technical Journal

               Internet:  bill_at_datacraft.com   CIS: 70451,2315
           DataCraft, Inc.  PO Box 980669, Houston TX  77098-0669  USA