Re: SQL Net

From: Russ Beardall <beardall_at_next1>
Date: 14 Jan 93 23:18:53 GMT

In comp.databases.oracle article <stillson.726765399_at_tsfsrv> you wrote:
> In comp.databases.oracle you write:
>
> >We looking at using Oracle in a distributed environment. I've heard
 that
> >this is accomplished using SQL net. But is it reliable? Is it a good
 product?
> >Is it worth it. Are there any alternatives?
>
> Well, we've installed it, but aren't making much use of it, because
 it's
> not a very good product(s), and not very reliable... We have Oracle
> running on a Sun 4, connected to a PC with a Western Digital ethernet
> card, and running Windows 3.1. The idea was to use Q+E (an Excel add
 in
> that understands SQL*Net) to allow SQL queries from inside Excel to go
> the server.
>
> - Ken Stillson, stillson_at_mitre.org

What sort of distributed environment is the first thing that needs to be defined here.

While Ken has had some real problems in the DOS world, he clouds the issue of SQL*Net reliability with the age old problem of getting any sort of TCP/IP based products working on a DOS network. Especially when mixing different types of client software (telnet-ing, database access, etc.).

If your distributed environment is in the realm of mainstream UNIX boxes (SUN,HP,DEC) then I have experienced nary a glitch running SQL*Net between all of these environments in a client-server config. AS well as PC and MAC client server connections. MAC's and PC's have always presented problems with "versioning" of the software pieces, but this is a PeeCee legacy.

FYI, many of the SQL*Net products were written by third parties and then bought/licensed by Oracle (We have a guy on staff who actually wrote one of them at another company), and there were heinous inconsistencies! Oracle now has brought all of the SQL*Net's under one group's control and has already provided a greater level of reliability and commonality between
different platforms' Drivers.

-Russ Received on Fri Jan 15 1993 - 00:18:53 CET

Original text of this message