From: Orville R. Weyrich <orville%weyrich_at_uunet.uu.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 92 01:00:06 GMT

Well, I have Oracle 5.1A for DOS, and the only machine I have handy that will meet the hardware requirements is the one running OS/2 2.0.

Yes, I know that Oracle 5.1A is old and obsolete, but hey, I need to develop some stuff and don't have time nor money for an upgrade just now.

Anyway, the installation goes fine [after transferring to 3.5" disks and makeing sure the disk labels are correct] until I get the messages

	Initializing the database
	IOR: Error 3121 Connecting to Oracle

	This installation did NOT pass our verification test.

	Error: Insufficient memory: 896K of extended memory required.

Well, I have 16M of memory installed, but even if I didn't, OS/2 is supposed to go virtual, right? I tried making a new dos program icon attached to a:orainst, with XMS set to 10M, but the same problem occurred. I don't know how to cause all the programs installed by orainst to access the XMS, and evidently orainst runs some of these just-installed programs during the install.

Has anyone successfully installed this version of Oracle with OS/2 2.0?

How?

[Or does anyone have a developer's copy of Oracle that works with OS/2 for sale real cheap?]

Thanks for advice,

orville