Re: Pro*C

From: Carl Fogelin <fogelinc_at_nmr1.Cyanamid.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1992 22:08:04 GMT

In article 13161_at_den.mmc.com, richard_at_crowded-house.den.mmc.com (Richard Armstrong) writes:

>I have plenty of good things to say about Oracle Pro*C. However, let me
>focus on one area where I find Pro*C completely brain-dead.

 [stuff deleted]

>Why doesn't the Pro*C precompiler do #define substitutions?

Because the scope of the Pro*C preprocessor would probably get out of hand. Sure, it would be nice if the Pro*C preprocessor would at least recognize #defines which are at the top of the current module, but the c preprocessor can be much more complicated. What about #defines found in an #include file? What about #defines which use conditional assignments (i.e., #ifdef)? These are just a couple of complications, but if you think about it, I'm sure you can come up with more.

Yes, I agree that I wish Pro*C did the #define substitutions, but I understand why they didn't do it. What I don't understand is why "struct"ures are not valid for host variables, but VARCHARs (which are structures) are... 8-(

Carl Fogelin (fogelinc_at_cyanamid.com)