Re: extent allocation?

From: <pihlab_at_hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 30 Oct 92 15:23:51 +1100

> Looked into the dba_free_space and saw many blocks of smaller sizes.
> Is there a way to tell Oracle to use multiple extents for the query?
> Also, is there a quick way to consolidate the memory without backup
> of the database?

NO. Oracle (the company) in their wisdom decided that reclaiming fragmented space into large single useable extents was a waste of resources for some reason or other. Presumably, it was either because it would slow down the database and they wouldn't get the TPS rates they wanted, OR they didn't know how to do it, OR they wanted us to spend money on their contractors to come in and fix our databases 8^}.

Oracle7 does reclaim space (at least for rollback segments).

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_hhcs.gov.au
                 ^^