How to Get From Sequent to Sun

From: Kenny Lopez - Silicon Valley EDA District Sales Rep <kennyl_at_Sun.COM>
Date: 28 Oct 1992 02:26:59 GMT

I have been given the following challenge...

A Sequent is running Oracle Financials MPL 8.4 I would like to replace the Sequent with a Sun SPARCserver 690MP The Sun SPARCserver must run Oracle Financials MPL 9.3.6 I've been told that I can only migrate data across same versions (MPL 8.4 to MPL 8.4 not MPL 8.4 to MPL 8.6) Oracle Financials MPL 8.4 does not exist/never ported to Sun We do not know if there is an Oracle Financials MPL 8.5 for the Sun We do know that an Oracle Financials MPL 8.6 exists for Sun

How do I get to the Sun from the Sequent?

After speaking to countless people at Oracle, I have been told that I only have two options available to me

  1. Upgrade the Sequent to MPL 9.3.6 and migrate the data to the Sun running MPL 9.3.6
  2. Upgrade the Sequent from MPL 8.4 to MPL 8.6, migrate the data to the Sun running MPL 8.6, upgrade the Sun to MPL 9.3.6

Is this true?

Option #1 has been ruled-out because to perform the upgrade on the Sequent, I must spend close to $100K on HW and SW upgrades to the Sequent box. This also forces me to take my production machine off-line for 3-5 days.

Option #2, I have been told, may take 3-5 days on the Sequent just for ther MPL 8.4 to MPL 8.6 upgrade, and then another 3-5 days for the upgrade on the Sun from MPL 8.6 to MPL 9.3.2. The integrity of the data from the Sequent to the Sun is NOT GUARANTEED. I been told that to upgrade within versions (ie 8.X to 8.X) is a no brainer if the database engine is the same. I've also been told the opposite...

Am I hosed?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kenny Received on Wed Oct 28 1992 - 03:26:59 CET

Original text of this message