dd backup of databases on a raw device

From: Terry Ball <ballt_at_osshe.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1992 21:33:24 GMT

A while back, I wrote and said that we were currently using the export/import process to make backup of our one database on a raw device. Several people replied that it was possible to do a dd of the files on the raw device.

Nick Pattakos also wrote and gave me some instructions on how to do this. (Thanks Nick). It has taken a while to try this out, but I finally got around to testing it.

I can use the dd command to copy the files on the raw device; but, I can not get the dd command to work for the logfiles or the controlfiles. I get a message: write error - bad name.

I have tried several different methods of trying to eliminate this error message, but to no avail.

The reason we had been using the export process to save our database was because we were told by our Unix rep that this was the only way to save the database. We are running on a BULL (and it is) DPX2. I don't know what version of Unix, but the ORACLE is version 6.0.30.

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Terry Ball Received on Tue Oct 27 1992 - 22:33:24 CET

Original text of this message