Re: Oracle shutdown on Sun

From: Joel Garry <tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 09:01:18 PST

eric_at_desktalk.com (Eric Lieber) writes:

> In article 3368_at_tamsun.tamu.edu, nakkala_at_cs.tamu.edu (Venkatesh Nakkala) writ
> >In article <1992Oct22.155543.19668_at_icf.hrb.com> gml_at_icf.hrb.com (Gretchen M.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know a graceful means of shutting down the ORACLE RDBMS under
> >>SunOS? Documentation suggests running dbshut utility from the shutdown5
> >>file, but the shutdown5 file does not exist on our system.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance,
> >>Gretchen

The oracle documentation on this is just plain wrong. It appears as though someone cut and pasted the documentation from System V. I mentioned this to Oracle Support a long time ago, but nothing has changed. How does one help Oracle correct their docs? Since the shutdown process merely kills processes, you might try killing the processes and removing the SGA file that is created by oracle (see the oracle startup file for the exact name - it is removed on startup).

--
INTERNET: tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry) UUCP: ...!ryptyde!netlink!tumidity
NetLink Online Communications * Public Access in San Diego, CA (619) 453-1115 Received on Tue Oct 27 1992 - 18:01:18 CET

Original text of this message