Ordering by Non-Base Table Field

From: Joydeep Sen <jsen_at_.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1992 23:10:26 GMT

Hello out there..

I am posting this request in the hope that someone has already done this and so the wheel does not have to be re-invented.

I would like to be able to have my block be ordered by the non-base table field. For example in the block EMPLOYEE the fields are:

           EMPNO, ENAME, SALARY, DEPT_NO, DEPT_NAME where DEPT_NO is a foreign key from table DEPARTMENT and DEPT_NAME is NOT a field in table EMPLOYEE.

In version 2.3, this would not have been possible. However, in 3.0 we can do this using a VIEW which joins the EMPLOYEE and the DEPARTMENT table (using the foreign key DEPT_NO). Using the view, DEPT_NAME becomes a base table (view)field, however, we now need to consider updates, inserts, and deletes to this view. Triggers ON-INSERT, ON-DELETE, ON-UPDATE can be used for this purpose.

If anyone has coded this functionality, I would appreciate getting a copy of the code. Thanks.

Regards
Joy Sen Received on Tue Oct 27 1992 - 00:10:26 CET

Original text of this message