Re: Oracle Application Standards

From: Devan F. Dewey <dewey_at_centerline.com>
Date: 19 Oct 1992 12:35:12 GMT

In article <dtb.719474542_at_otto>, dtb_at_otto (David Bath) wrote:

> stroup_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com writes:
>

> >We've been designing Oracle applications for several years now (under VMS)
> >using some informal standards. Now we're about to start up a standards team
> >to address issues such as:

> > Source Code Management (Forms, SQL scripts, Menus, etc.)
> > Thanks in advance

> Re source code management
> Keep stuff in ASCII
> But then I'm an iag hacker from Oracle 4
> And I use make to describe dependencies
> AVOID TABS in your inp files
> Use RCS for version control
> Works on almost all real OS's
> FREE !
> Friendly smart reports
> Source code available for tweaking

Don't get too comfortable with this set up.

I just found out recently that SQL*Forms V4 will not have human readable .inp files. I was very disturbed. I keep my source code under control this way, too, and I edit my .inp files _ALL_ the time!!!

When I was at IOUW last month, I attended a seminar on SQL*Forms V3 Tricks and Traps. The speaker asked how many people edited their .inp files. Ninety percent of the ~500 people in the room raised their hands.

Help!!! What are we going to do. Vi is just as much a development tools for me as the SQL*Forms desinger is. Is this a joke?

Please, if I have bogus information, Oracle, speak up. Otherwise, a response would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Devan

               Devan F. Dewey | Senior Systems Analyst
          CenterLine Software | dewey_at_centerline.com
            10 Fawcett Street | "Leme esplain - no dere is
          Cambridge, MA 02138 | too much. Leme sum up."
                                       -Inigo Montoya