Re: Oracle Application Standards

From: David Bath <dtb_at_otto>
Date: 19 Oct 92 06:02:22 GMT

stroup_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com writes:

>We've been designing Oracle applications for several years now (under VMS)
>using some informal standards. Now we're about to start up a standards team
>to address issues such as:

> Source Code Management (Forms, SQL scripts, Menus, etc.)
> Naming conventions
> Visual standards for Forms
> Etc, etc, etc....

>I'd appreciate any information on how you control your production
>applications.

> Thanks in advance

 Re source code management

	Keep stuff in ASCII
		But then I'm an iag hacker from Oracle 4
		And I use make to describe dependencies
		AVOID TABS in your inp files
	Use RCS for version control
		Works on almost all real OS's
		FREE !
		Friendly smart reports
		Source code available for tweaking

 Some cute forms interface ideas :
	Query length = Field length + 20 (where allowed)
	NO AUTOMATIC NEXT FIELD WHEN FIELD FILLS UP
	Write a forms application to hit forms database - query
	across forms on field name to check (and update) consistency.

David T. Bath
email: 	dtb_at_otto.bf.rmit.oz.au
Work: 	Global Technology Corporation, Carlton, Vic, OZ  (03) 3477511
"Failure to emulate is the best revenge" - Marcus Aurelius
--
David T. Bath
email: 	dtb_at_otto.bf.rmit.oz.au
Work: 	Global Technology Corporation, Carlton, Vic, OZ  (03) 3477511
#include <disclaimer.h>