Re: dropping a PUBLIC rollback seg

From: <sstephen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 25 Sep 92 07:09:58 GMT

In article <1992Sep23.162159.172_at_cpvax.cpses.tu.com>, b_lmcgilve_at_cpvax.cpses.tu.com writes:
> In article <1992Sep22.145815.336_at_condor.navsses.navy.mil>, system_at_condor.navsses.navy.mil writes:

>> I have a group of users who are new ORACLE on the VAX as well as new DBAs.  We
>> are running ORACLE for VAX/VMS 6.0.36 (6.2).  What the user wants to do is to
>> DROP a public rollback segment that is current in use, as well as the
>> tablespace that contains the rollback segment.  He has tried the DROP PUBLIC
>> ROLLBACK SEGMENT and DROP TABLESPACE and both commands returned the Rollback
>> segment in use error.  Is there a way to drop these rollback segments so he can
>> drop or take the tablespaces off line?

> Add a line to the init.ora file that says:
>
> _offline_rollback_segment = (rollback2)
>
> remove the name of the rollback segments from the list of rollback segments
>
> rollback_segments = (rollback1, rollback3)
>
> Take the database down and back up.
> Then you can drop the rollback segment and drop the tablespace.

> Laurel McGilvery Not only do I not speak for the
> CPSES (temporarily) company, the company does not
> Bechtel Corporation speak for me.
>
> All opinions expressed are obviously mine. Who else would own up to them?

All INIT.ORA parameters with leading underscores are extremely dangerous and could create even more serious problems than it solves. Never use a parameter like _offline_rollback_segment without backing up your database, (and hopefully an Oracle Support Rep on the phone to verify that there is not an easier solution.

Scott Stephens Received on Fri Sep 25 1992 - 09:09:58 CEST

Original text of this message