Re: Objects and Oracle?

From: David S. Masterson <davidm_at_consilium.com>
Date: 30 Aug 92 07:21:17 GMT

> Our company develops software to run under Windows using the toolbook
> package in the early development phases. We do everything using objects and
> fairly complex inheritance schemes. Our current task is to develop some
> software to act as a front end to some relational database system. We are
> currently trying to figure out if Oracle might do the job for us. We phoned
> the local Oracle outfit but their answers were very vague, to say the least.
> I hope that by asking to net, somebody out there will know more than our
> local Oracle folks.

Well, so far this is a very vague definition of what it is that you want to do with the relational database. I can understand Oracle's response.

> I guess what we need is a way to access the power of SQL and RDBMS from
> within our own Windows applications. If anybody has played with those ideas
> and has something to report, please do so! We are also thinking about some
> small independent products that also boast of full SQL support, but Oracle
> is a big name and might look good on our company's record. We hope it won't
> prove too closed for our need. We are really new to DB stuff.

I think you need to be more specific (at least to yourself):

  1. By accessing "the power of SQL and RDBMS from within our own Windows applications", do you mean that the users of your applications should be given full access to SQL or you, in writing your applications, need full access to SQL? The answer to this question sets the audience for who is dealing with the database interface.
  2. If the former, of what importance is the C++ objects that you mentioned? Are you going to represent data in the database as objects or, maybe, are you going to represent an RDBMS as an object? The answer to this says something of the complexity of the application.
  3. Is your application relational or object-oriented in nature? Which way does your users perceive it? Which way do your developers perceive it? The answer to this ensures that everyone is speaking the same language.

Basically, think about what it is you want to do with a database system. Be sure that you are not just seeking to use such a system because its the new industry buzzword.

David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
davidm_at_consilium.com				Mtn. View, CA  94043
If you're not part of the solution,
you must be part of the precipitate.