Re: (SOLUTION ENCLOSED) Re: SQL*Reportwriter last page eject

From: Gv Fragante <fragante_at_unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1992 18:10:33 GMT

In <1992Jul29.132110.21823_at_homebase.vistachrome.com> andy_at_homebase.vistachrome.com (Andy Finkenstadt) writes:

>Actually, it is the print spooler that prints that extra blank page
>at the end. Print to "File" sometime in SRW and you will notice that
>the last character in the file is the form-feed character. (This only
>applies to ascii print definitions, the postscript definitions
>do not suffer from this problem with the right filter.)

Yes, that's correct. Printing to a "file" will not produce a form feed character.  Also, you're right that Postscript printers do not exhibit this problem, but Epson and Laserjet printers do.

>There are three possible changes that will fix this problem!

>One:

> Change the Oracle PRINTDEF.DAT file for your printer definition(s)
> to include the "fs" option. To wit: there is currently a setting
> for ff=(Control-L) and no fs setting for the ascii printers. There
> is an 'fs' for the postscript printers that does "erasepage
> initgraphics" which prevents the extra-page problem. Add an "fs=:"
> (ie: nothing) to the 'wide' and 'dflt' definitions (if that's all
> you use).

Looks like the most viable method.

>Three:

> Write a custom filter in your favorite language that removes
> blank pages at the end of a file. This is certainly the hardest
> of any changes.

I did something similar, in which the report was written to a file and then send to the printer. Not an elegant solution, that's why I asked if there was anything else out there in the net.

>My permission granted to include this in any materials with proper
>attribution.

>-Andy
> just an oracle customer

Thanks.

GV Received on Wed Jul 29 1992 - 20:10:33 CEST

Original text of this message