Re: FAQ? Defining a query page against multiple field/multiple table

From: Larry W. Virden <lwv26_at_cas.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1992 17:22:19 GMT

In article <1992Jul28.132643.24259_at_cas.org> lvirden_at_cas.org (Larry W. Virden) writes:
:
:1. I have never seen a comprehensive FAQ posted to this group - is one
:available?

Well, I got one answer - that so far one has not evolved. Too bad...

:
:Goal, not only to permit entry of the above information, but to allow
:the user to query against any combination of Name, Employee number,
:Activity description and total hours.
:
:Where does one start to permit the above query? The problem is that I do NOT

Well, the overwhelming recommendation (thanks to the 2 people who responded) was that I should define a view consisting of the 3 different tables and then switch the user to a form based on that view when the user pressed the Enter Query key.

Now, for the next problem. One of the two people who responded indicated that if I based the block on a view, I would have to write all of the query code myself - but then indicated that I would need to write insert, delete and update triggers.

What I thought about doing was something like this:

When the Key-Enter Query trigger occurs, move the user to a new block which contains the new fields which they can query on. Then, in the post query trigger, I need to somehow move the resulting query info back into the original form. Since one of the fields on the query block will be the primary key of all the tables on the input screen, is there some way I can copy the 'set' of queried values back to the other page so that it appears to the user as if all of the records are available to them?

--
Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lvirden
Same Mbox: BITNET: lvirden_at_cas  INET: lvirden_at_cas.org