Re: SQL*Forms 3.0 LOV, controlling the width...

From: Mark Toms <mtoms_at_ems.cdc.com>
Date: 22 Jul 92 17:40:25 GMT

In article <1992Jul21.213306.8315_at_unixg.ubc.ca>, george_at_unixg.ubc.ca (George chow) writes:
|> I'm building a form with SQL*Forms 3.0 with a few LOV. Anyways, the columns
|> in my tables are quite wide (just in case I need it in the future). For each
|> LOV, I want to SELECT about 3-4 columns. The situation right now is that
|> Forms will allocate space for each column in the LOV according to the declared
|> width of the column from the table. Because my tables tend to have wide
|> columns, I can't see more than about 2.5-3 table columns in the LOV.
|> What I would prefer to do is to split the 80 columns among all four columns
|> from the tables. How can I control the width of the what SELECT returns?
|> I don't think there is any way via (standard) SQL. But is there some way in
|> Forms to do what I want?
|>
|> George

George,

  We ran into a similar situation and solved it by using the following within the FORM:

  select substr(functional_id,1,4), substr(functional_id_desc,1,50)     into :functional_id

functional_id is char(4) and functional_id_desc is char(80)

  We did notice something strange, however. You would think that since functional_id is only 4 characters wide, you wouldn't need the substr function. When we did not include the substr function, only the first 3 characters were displayed in the LOV.

Good luck,
Mark

Sorry about the multiple postings...I was having trougle getting this message to post out of the building.

J. Mark Toms                                email: mtoms_at_ems.cdc.com
Baltimore Gas & Electric, Company
C/O Empros Systems International            Phone: (612) 553-4423
2300 Berkshire Lane North                     FAX: (612) 553-4018
Plymouth, Minnesota  55441-3694 USA      Mailstop: PLY060