Re: Client/Server & ORACLE

From: Clay Jackson <cjackso_at_nv6>
Date: 17 Jul 92 22:06:18 GMT

des_at_helix.nih.gov (David E. Scheim) writes:
: You will probably not get many responses as from what I understand, it is
: not really feasible to do client-server work in production using Oracle 6.0

Hmmmmm...someone should tell our users that. We have about 250-300 users on several instances of Oracle - ALL running in client-server.

Our server is a Sequent S81, and our clients range from sessions on other Sequent S81s and S27s to PC clones (well, OK 386sx boxes) running Gupta Windows/SQL.

: except for very small applications. I don't believe that there are any
: serious systems out there doing this.

We're serious, and have been for a couple of years. We have about 6Gb or so of production data, and we expect to go over 10 sometime in the next few months as new applications come on-line. A few weeks ago, we "slam dunked" an extra 300+ users onto our production system when a new application in system test needed to be brought up ASAP (the application it was replacing, an MVS based system, was down with some sort of corrupted pointers). These users made use of the Oracle/Unix system in query-only mode until the MVS system came back up 24 hours later.

I will agree with you on one point - there aren't any good books out there on this stuff. "You just gotta know" (or, be a pioneer).

--
Clay Jackson - N7QNM
US WEST NewVector Group Inc