Re: Problems with SQL*Net Starlan on a PC

From: David Criswell <dcriswel_at_oracle.uucp>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1992 21:18:19 GMT

In article <1992Jun29.220527.950_at_fang.att.com> e.dierksen_at_att.com (Elliot Dierksen) writes:
>Here is the scenario:
>Client = AT&T 6386SX/WGS, DOS 3.30, 8MB RAM, Oracle 6.0.31.2.2 (tpo),
> SQL*Net NetBIOS (Starlan) 1.0.2.9, Stargroup 3.5
>Host = AT&T 6386/E 33, Unix V, Release 4, Version 2.1, 24MB RAM,
> Oracle 6.0.33.1.2 (tpo), SQL*Net Starlan 1.1.0.1.2, Stargroup 3.5
>
>Problem: DOS Oracle does not connect to unix Oracle (starsrv) (3121 error).
>I have tried running SQLNTB before the ORACLE.BAT file and I get the above
>error. If I follow the instructions in the book, it says load Oracle first
>and then run SQLPME and answer SQLNTB at the prompt. It does not prompt me,
>it errors out saying SQLPME already loaded. If I try running SQLNTB after

The tools documents on the PC assume in places that you are accessing a local RDBMS. ORACLE.BAT loads SQLPME, the protected mode Oracle kernel, and then starts it up. If you're just accessing a remote kernel, you should load SQLPME, then the sql*net driver, then the tool. If you're only accessing from realmode tools, omit SQLPME. It's important that SQLPME be loaded before sqlnet - if sqlnet is loaded first, the protected mode side of the driver doesn't get loaded, and the protected mode tool will not be able to find the driver.