What Keys to Map?

From: <a012d_1_at_eagle.navsses.navy.mil>
Date: 26 May 92 17:00:52 GMT

I would like some suggestions about keymappings.

  We are currently converting our M.I.S. from Prime Information to SQLFORMS 3.0 on a VAX.

  The old system was designed to be very simple for the users, who were mostly upper management. Very simple meaning that they only had to press a single key at a time, and the key to press was highlighted on the screen.

  SQLFORMS is more complicated as it is set up. The PC-Telnet program used has the user hold down multiple keys everytime the user needs to perform a SQLFORM function. Example, to duplicate a record the key sequence is F1-Ctrl-Alt-F2.

  • I would appreciate comments on your setups. Are you using what came preconfigured with SQLFORMS and your communication programs or have you changed the keymappings on either end.

How Users Connect to the VAX
  Users will log on the VAX mostly through PC's emulating atleast a VT100, but mostly a VT220. The PC's have 85 and 105 key, keyboards. Also, the users will be using 3-4 different types (dialup [pc/mac], telnet[pc/mac]) of terminal emulation programs to connect to the VAX. Received on Tue May 26 1992 - 19:00:52 CEST

Original text of this message