Re: What is PL/SQL?

From: Bjorn Engsig <bengsig_at_dk.oracle.com>
Date: 7 Apr 92 09:29:16 GMT

In article <1992Mar27.174137.5277_at_fmsrl7.srl.ford.com> hugh_at_slee06.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) writes:
|>I have some literature from Oracle which describes a product called
|>PL/SQL. [what is it?]

 Article <1992Apr3.115047.9048_at_jyu.fi> by hkau_at_jyu.fi (Harri J Kaukovuo) says:
|PL/SQL is part of SQL*Forms 3.

No, not really. PL/SQL is a procedural extension to SQL with a pascal like syntax. It is a separate product that can be included in both SQL*Forms 3 and in the Oracle kernel. In the former case, it means that a large number of calculations often done in triggers can be performed locally, so the oracle kernel is only consulted for true SQL operations. PL/SQL may also be used from other product like SQL*Plus and the precompilers.

--
Disclaimer:  Although I work for ORACLE, I am sending this only in my technical
	     interest to help fellow Netlanders.  I am not involved in sales