Re: Moving data from Ingres -> Oracle ??

From: JOHN HEIM <heim_at_vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Date: 3 Apr 92 22:32:49 GMT

In article <1992Apr3.104852.9555_at_covax.commerce.uq.oz.au>, bellamy_at_covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes...

>We have the need to convert data from a colleague's Ingres database to a
>database using Oracle. The database is fairly large (about 500Mb) so
>an efficient method would be appreciated (although any will do :-)). This is
>likely to be an annual effort. Do either Oracle or Ingres provide tools for
>this (the Oracle manuals which we have make no mention of Ingres).
>
>_Idealy_ we would like to connect through TCP/IP, but tape unload/reload would
>be fine.
>
>Sorry if this is a FAQ, but the requirement has just arisen. BTW we run Oracle
>6.0.33 on VMS.

Recently I had to transfer data from Ingres to a PC database called SQLBase. I did an UNLOADDB and ftp'ed the whole thing to the PC. Then I ran a C program I wrote to parse the COPY.IN script and build dynamic SQLBase dynamic SQL statements from it.

You're welcome to the C code if you want it. I don't know how much use it would be considering it was written on a PC for SQLBase.

>Cheers.

The Cosby Show. :-)

John G. Heim                                 Email:  heim_at_macc.wisc.edu
UW-Madison Academic Computing Center         Phone:  608-262-9887
1210 W. Dayton St.                           Fax:    608-262-4679
Madison, WI 53706                            CIS:    76376,3635
**************** To boldly code what no one has coded before! ****************