Re: Moving data from Ingres -> Oracle ??

From: Dale Cooper <cooper_at_beno.CSS.GOV>
Date: 6 Apr 92 14:38:19 GMT

In article <1992Apr3.104852.9555_at_covax.commerce.uq.oz.au> bellamy_at_covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:

>We have the need to convert data from a colleague's Ingres database to a
>database using Oracle. The database is fairly large (about 500Mb) so
>an efficient method would be appreciated (although any will do :-)). This is
>likely to be an annual effort. Do either Oracle or Ingres provide tools for
>this (the Oracle manuals which we have make no mention of Ingres).

We had to do something quite similar here at the Center. In fact we had to download data from an Ingres installation on a VAX then upload the data into an Oracle instance on a SUN 4. Since the two databases can't communicate, this entailed downloading the data into ASCII format from within Ingres SQL and uploading the data into Oracle using the SQL*Loader utility. The download from Ingres was relatively easy in that we used the copy...to...path/filename command from within Ingres SQL. Is was neat and easy as Ingres provided the ability to dump data into ASCII with user defined delimited fields. (Why doesn't Oracle provide this type of capability?...I guess that's another can of worms entirely, right guys?)

Anyhow, once the data was downloaded to ASCII, we tar'd off the files to tape for backup and FTP'd the data to the new box for importing into Oracle. We created individual control files for each table and slammed the data into the Oracle database. The SQL*Loader facility is quite reliable and can handle large blocks of data in a short period of time.

>_Idealy_ we would like to connect through TCP/IP, but tape unload/reload would
>be fine.

The latter is probably your best option...

>David E. Bellamy Email: bellamy_at_commerce.uq.oz.au
>Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

Dale Cooper, DBA			Why say Why.
Center for Seismic Studies		   Drink Homebrew...
Arlington, VA Received on Mon Apr 06 1992 - 16:38:19 CEST

Original text of this message