Re: Rollback segment question (need help)

From: Dale Cooper <cooper_at_beno.CSS.GOV>
Date: 20 Mar 92 19:25:25 GMT

In article <LAHTI.92Mar20124408_at_pouta.fmi.fi> lahti_at_pouta.fmi.fi (Mikko Lahti) writes:
>In article <50560_at_seismo.CSS.GOV> cooper_at_beno.CSS.GOV (Dale Cooper) writes:
> [good text deleted]

DC>   Now, before we go any further, when you created the database, what
DC>   name did you give the database?  The reason that I ask, is that the
DC>   file init.ora is a "template" init file that Oracle uses when
DC>   building the database from ground zero.  Once the database is
DC>   created, an init file called init[oracle_sid].ora is created (where
DC>   [oracle_sid] is the name that you gave your instance).  If you
DC>   edited the init.ora file and restarted using the command:

DC>	   SQLDBA>startup

DC> without adding

DC> dfile=?/path/init.ora

DC>   you have done nothing other than start the database with the
DC>   init[oracle_sid].ora file not the init.ora file that you just
DC>   edited!  This is the default!  Tricky, eh?

>I have used Oracle RDBMS v. 6.0 in VAX/VMS-machines for couple of
>years and edited only init.ora file. Works fine. In VMS every Oracle
>instance have its own directory with its own init.ora file and that's
>where startup command will find it. There is a "template" init.ora
>file in RDBMS directory that is copied into instance directory during
>database/instance creation.

>Might it be that it works differently in UNIX? (By the way, what
>is your operating system?) I don't have any experience from there.

Sounds like it to me. I work with Oracle 6.0.33 on SUN 4 and DEC ULTRIX. I am unfamiliar with Oracle 6X on VAX/VMS. I would love to see their DBA guide and/or platform installation and user's guide with regard to this topic. Any other VMS folks out there who would like to comment on this?

[remaining stuff deleted]

If this is really the case (and I don't doubt you in the least bit)...so much for consistency across platforms. :(

Dale Cooper, DBA And they ask me why I drink... Center for Seismic Studies
Arlington, VA Received on Fri Mar 20 1992 - 20:25:25 CET

Original text of this message