Re: Rollback segment question (need help)

From: Erlend Dyrnes <erlendd_at_barsoom.nhh.no>
Date: 13 Mar 92 14:45:38 GMT

ffeng_at_cs.tamu.edu (Fang Feng) writes:

>1. First I use CREATE TABLESPACE to define a tablespace named mc_space.

> CREATE TABLESPACE mc_space
> DATAFILE 'path/dbfitd.dbf' SIZE 80M REUSE
> DEFAULT STORAGE (INITIAL 5M NEXT 50K
> MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS 100
> PCTINCREASE 0)

>2. Then I tried to define a rollback segment named roll_mc for it

> CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT roll_mc
> TABLESPACE mc_space
> STORAGE (INITIAL 50000 NEXT 50000 MAXEXTENTS 100);

>3. Meanwhile I changed the init.ora file under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, and
> shutdown the database and start it up. It kept telling me the error
> "ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system
> tablespace 'MC_SPACE' ".

What I was told to do (by ORACLE) was:

  1. Create a rollback segment in the SYSTEM tablespace
  2. Edit your INIT.ORA so the database can make use of the segment.
  3. Reboot your database
  4. Create your new tablespace
  5. Create your new rollback segment within this new tablespace
  6. Edit your INIT.ORA file so the database uses the new rollbacksegment.
  7. Reboot your database again.

Now you have an extra rollback segment in the SYSTEM tablespace, and you may want to drop it. ORACLE recommends creation of a tablespace for rollback segment(s) only. If you do so, you'll be able to calculate the size of the tablespace excactly (n times extentsize). I see you have the same initial and next size of your new rollback segments, perhaps add a PCTINCREASE 0 to ensure equal size on the extents ?

erlend

--
Erlend Dyrnes , Computer Science Engineer, SNF
at The Norwegian Scool of Economics and business administration