Re: Rollback segment question (need help)

From: Dave Schmitt <daves_at_techmpc.csg.gss.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1992 17:41:28 GMT

ffeng_at_cs.tamu.edu (Fang Feng) writes:
>I have defined a non-system tablespace. When I tried to defined a
>rollback segment for it, I encountered a problem. The exact process
>is as follows:

[If there is ever a FAQ created for this group, this should definitely be a part of it.]

In order to create objects in a tablespace other than SYSTEM, you must have at least one rollback segment available besides the SYSTEM rollback segment. Here is what I do:

  1. Create a small second rollback segment in the SYSTEM tablespace:

        CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT bootstrap;

2. Add a line to the "init.ora" file:

        rollback_segments = bootstrap

3. Shutdown and startup the database.

4. Create my additional tablespaces (including the one for rollback

   segments).

5. Create my "real" rollback segments:

	CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT rollback1
	TABLESPACE rbs
	STORAGE (INITIAL 50K NEXT 50K MINEXTENTS 50);

	CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT rollback2
	TABLESPACE rbs
	STORAGE (INITIAL 50K NEXT 50K MINEXTENTS 50);

6. Change the init.ora file:

        rollback_sgements = (rollback1, rollback2)

7. Shutdown and startup the database.

Unless I've left some typos in there, this should work for you. Notice that the bootstrap rollback segment is no longer used, but still exists in case you ever need it again.

Hope this helps.

--
David Schmitt, Systems Administrator		Voice: (708)632-5562
Cellular Subscriber Group MIS			FAX:   (708)632-4421