Re: Oracle and AIX 3.2

From: Fred Jewell <fredj_at_wang.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 92 20:37:42 GMT

scott_at_prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:

>Does anyone know what Oracle plans are for AIX 3.2? The current version
>works under 3.1.5, but I suspect that 3.2 is such a significant change
>that it will require a new version. We would keep 3.1.5, but we need to
>place our AIX based database servers on FDDI...which requires 3.2.

Scott,

     We have installed our current version of ORACLE on AIX 3.2. There is a glitch however. YOU should NOT use installp or smit to install it. Bad things happen because ORACLE needs to change it's distribution tape, ORACLE changes ownership of the /usr and /usr/bin directories. If you have a separate filesystem for it (we have an oracle filesystem) just tar down the tape to that directory and then log in as oracle and things work just fine!

     I syspect that ORACLE will have an appropriate distribution tape when 3.2 is ready for general release.

                 fredj

Fred A. Jewell                                MY OPINIONS STATED HERE ARE MY
Wang Labs                                     OWN AND DO NOT NECESSARILY
fredj_at_wang.com                                REFLECT THAT OF MY COMPANY!!!!