Re: oracle's prospects

From: Donn C Young <dyoung_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1992 17:34:27 GMT

In article <1992Jan16.061959.26328_at_cs.uoregon.edu> pdm_at_getafix.cs.uoregon.edu (peter d. mark) writes:
>i'm posting this for a friend who would like information about
>how oracle is doing these days. it grew dramatically in the 80s
>but then seemed to go into a tailspin as its sales lagged and its
>stock fell in price from 25 or 26 down to about 9 or 10. it's
>recovered somewhat, but does anyone out there have any feel for
>how effectively streamlined their operation or rethought their
>marketing strategy? what are the prospects for further growth?
>would you buy their stock now?
>
>peter
>pdm_at_cs.uoregon.edu

Last year Oracle Corp was suffering some financial problems with a $1.3 million loss during the second quarter of '91. Kinda a combination of recession and management. An article in PC Week (1/13/92) shows that they seemed to have turned things around under a new CFO, Jeffrey Henley Earnings for Q2 '92 are up to $13.6 million - as compared to last year's loss. Projected '92 sales are up 16.7%, from $1,028 million to $1,200; earnings from -$12.4 million (loss) to +$56.8 million. Things look rosier than last year, but still are hanging on delivering Oracle 7.0. The article entitled, "Oracle's New Style Pays Big Dividends", says that Oracle's abandoned Growth for Quality - uh huh :-) They seemed to have done a real turnaround, but I wouldn't worry too much about a company with sales over a billion dollars.

Donn Young, OSU Cancer Center
dyoung_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu Received on Thu Jan 16 1992 - 18:34:27 CET

Original text of this message