Re: SQL-plus

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:31:57 -0600

Tim wrote:
<snipped>

> OK, here is another question. What is the difference, from a developer's
> point of view, between Oracle 8i, Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g?

8i REALLY not supported
9i Recently Not supported (6 mths ago)
[Quoted] 10g ALMOST not supported (~18-20 months from now - give or take a few...) 11g Current.

> If I am just writing SQL statements does it really matter what version I
> use? Is there any added functionality that would change the actual SQL
> statements?

[Quoted] You would write SQL based on how interesting the Optimizer will make your life trying to figure out why it doesn't work as expected. [JDBC and ODBC support] changed during those timeframes, [TAF and FCF] in a RAC environment. etc. SQL itself may not be the issue in the RAC environment it is how you handle errors in your code - like a database instance on node1 going down but nodes 2-4 are still up... how do you handle the error and reconnect. Lot's of fun.

As an Oracle developer you have LOTS to learn ;) Received on Mon Mar 02 2009 - 21:31:57 CET

Original text of this message