Re: Oracle10 e PHP

From: Gerard H. Pille <>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:16:01 +0100

Daniele schreef:
> "Gerard H. Pille" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Very strange thing.
>>> In my oci_connect I already had the characterset among parameters.
>> "The" characterset?   Which one was it?

> I had UFT8, but I also tried with AL32UTF8.
>> Why do you find this strange?  Specifying the character set with the
>> oci_connect is said to speed up connecting.

> It's strange because, without specifying the character set, the problem
> disappears.
> Perhaps I used the wrong charset: in my DB the charset is AL16UTF16, but I
> get an error if I specify it in the oci_connect.
> Daniele

It is not nice to lie to people, Daniele.

I quote from :

No, AL16UTF16 can only be used as NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET in 9i and above. Trying to create a database with a AL16UTF16 NLS_CHARACTERSET will fail."

Only NCHAR, NVARCHAR2 and NCLOB columns can use AL16UTF16.

What Oracle Client version are you using? Is the environment variable ORA_NLS33 / ORA_NLS10 correctly set? Received on Sat Feb 28 2009 - 07:16:01 CST

Original text of this message