Re: Oracle 11 beginner questions

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 06:57:19 -0700

Gaute wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am used to "SQL Server 2005" and have just installed Oracle 11. I wonder
> how/where I can do "normal" things to find performance issues in my SELECT
> quereries:
>
> A) In "SQL Serve Profiler" I can see all my SQL queries from my program and
> used time per query. How do you do this in Oracle?
>
> B) In "SQL Server Mangement studio" I can write a query, rightclick and
> select "Display estimated Execution Plan" to find for example which indexes
> is in use. How do you do this in Oracle?
>
> Best regards from Gaute

In Oracle there are two major interfaces. For a beginner asking the questions you are asking I would suggest DBCONSOLE, also known as OEM or Oracle Enterprise Manager: The other is SQL*Plus.

Good places to start your exploration of Oracle are at:

http://tahiti.oracle.com
http://docs.oracle.com
http://asktom.oracle.com
http://www.psoug.org/library.html

And the best general advice I can give you ... Oracle is nothing like SQL Server. Don't do anything until you read the concepts and [Quoted] architecture books. Trying to make Oracle work like, or behave like, a Microsoft product is as productive as trying to teach a pig to sing.

Daniel Morgan
Oracle Ace Director Received on Wed Oct 01 2008 - 15:57:19 CEST

Original text of this message