Re: ODBC Problems

From: <>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:21:13 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 6, 2:13 pm, Lee <> wrote:
> I decided to give Altova's new "DataBase Spy" a test drive; but during
> installation the application found only the Ms ODBC dricver for ORacle.
> I chose "OK, use that one" and then got an error message about how
> necessary Oracle client side component's werent there.
> Curious, because I have Oracle Instant CLient installed.
> I'm a bit fuzzy on the Instant client we need to set
> an Oracle Home? Or put something on the execution path?
> Sql*Dev by contrast has no problem and fires right up, as did a few
> other third party products.
> I dont know whether this really has anything to do with ALtova, or is a
> more of a question of Microsoft ODBC drivers hot playing well with
> Oracle or what.
> Shouldnt I be dowloading Oracles ODBC drivers instead? And if I DO, do
> I need to set any system magic (windows XP) to make the environemnt
> aware that I've got the Oracle ODBC stuff in there?
> Too many moving parts MOzart!

Instant client isn't the full client, and some software products require the full Oracle client installation. This, apparently, is one of them.

I suggest you visit and download the full 10g or 11g client (which is bundled with the database server software) and install it.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Dec 06 2007 - 21:21:13 CET

Original text of this message