Re: Receiving email into pl/sql

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:07:18 GMT

Lee <leeh_at_panix.com> wrote in news:fgv7lr$er1$1_at_reader1.panix.com:

> shakespeare wrote:
>

>> Back in the nineties, Oracle used to have a product called Oracle
>> Mail, which was able to receive email (and yes: in the database). It
>> became part of Oracle Interoffice (which died some years later).
>> Don't know if it's still around as a product, but it is stil there as
>> a part of Oracle Collaboration Suite (able to receive mail in the
>> database). I had a customer who installed Coll. Suite for this
>> purpose solely: they wanted to be able to start processes based on
>> email. Installing OCS is quite a fuss, keeping it running even more,
>> but it may be worth a try. You'll have to pay for it, though.
>> Oracle Interconnect had an SMTP adapter (but that was in 2001). We
>> never got it working, iirc it could not handle attachments.Could be
>> part of BPEL now (does someone know?).
>>

>   Thanks for the input.
>
>   Its beginning to look as if I'm not going to be able to do any
>   better
> than my friend Rube (Golberg) after all.

If you don't mind reinventing the wheel, it would be possible to write a POP3 or IMAP client in PL/SQL using UTL_TCP. Both protocols are well defined standards. This would allow you to pull messages directly into a store procedure. Received on Sat Nov 10 2007 - 04:07:18 CET

Original text of this message