Re: Reports Background engine failures

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:21:29 -0700

Preston wrote:
> sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

[Quoted] >> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:25:50 GMT, "Jerry Alan Braga"
>> <jerry.braga_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> but In oracle's infinate wisdom they removed client/server support
>>> for forms (BIG MISTAKE) after 6i.
>>> We are a terminal server shop not Oracle application server with
>>> that terrible jinitiator stuff and others.
>> That was not a mistake. The world moves on. Mickeysoft doesn't support
>> client/server anymore, doesn't it?
>> Please realise how terrible old Forms 6i is, and please realise Oracle
>> has many other development tools.
>> Why stay in the dark and stick to client/server?

> Because things in the 'real world' often don't match your view of how
> things should work. E.g. we sell a suite of applications which include
> a couple of hundred 6i reports. Upgrading to Reports 10g would mean
> we'd have to charge our clients more to cover the increased licensing
> costs of the reports elements of application server, with no obvious
> benefit to themselves.

It would also mean your clients would be using supported technology. Is that a benefit?

[Quoted] It would mean they could meet their legal requirements with respect to auditing and compliance. Is that a benefit?

[Quoted] Given that Oracle has made clear, for years, its intention what you are really saying is that your firm chose to ignore Oracle and the [Quoted] needs of its customers making so appropriate this quote from Shakespeare:

"For 'tis the sport to have the enginer / Hoist with his owne petar"

You being the engineer in this case. <g>

If you don't do it now when do you plan to do it? With version 11? 12? 20? You should have been making this investment on an on-going basis.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington