Re: Reports Background engine failures

From: Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 07:52:05 GMT

[Quoted] sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:25:50 GMT, "Jerry Alan Braga"
> <jerry.braga_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > but In oracle's infinate wisdom they removed client/server support
> > for forms (BIG MISTAKE) after 6i.
> > We are a terminal server shop not Oracle application server with
> > that terrible jinitiator stuff and others.
>
> That was not a mistake. The world moves on. Mickeysoft doesn't support
> client/server anymore, doesn't it?
> Please realise how terrible old Forms 6i is, and please realise Oracle
> has many other development tools.
> Why stay in the dark and stick to client/server?

[Quoted] Because things in the 'real world' often don't match your view of how things should work. E.g. we sell a suite of applications which include a couple of hundred 6i reports. Upgrading to Reports 10g would mean we'd have to charge our clients more to cover the increased licensing costs of the reports elements of application server, with no obvious benefit to themselves.

We'd also have to visit every single one of our clients to install application server (which would cost us a small fortune) as most of them don't even have an IT department, never mind anyone familiar with Oracle. Some of them would also need to buy new servers. Then of course we'd need to change our application as it currently calls the reports executable to run the reports, and change all the reports themselves.

You can call that 'staying in the dark' if you like - we call it the reality of a small software house competing in a very competitive market. The extra licensing costs & complexity of Reports 10 makes it a non-starter for us & our clients, hence we'll be sticking with 6i until we have time to implement a (non-Oracle) alternative.

--
Preston.