Re: OCI Multiple homes

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 19:40:27 +0200

On 9 May 2007 06:46:58 -0700, Carlos <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>Sybrand, I'm afraid I disagree.
>
>Different ORACLE_HOMEs may have different aliases in their respective
>tnsnames.ora (maybe they will connect to different groups of
>instances, different environments, etc, etc...)
>
>What I said is that the OP should put the *apropriate* alias in the
>files and connect using them in the correct way (whatever this way
>is).
>
>It was you who figured out that the two tnsnames.ora should be the
>same, not me.
>
>Cheers.

Carlos,
I'm afraid I consider this as promoting maintaining messes. The mess you describe above is the perfect reason to either set up a central tnsnames.ora or abandon tnsnames.ora completely and setup OID.
Apparently you never have been in the situation you describe. I have. I don't want to jump around every individual workstation because Oracle was upgraded. In fact this was on of the reasons NOT to upgrade, and to continue to use desupported versions, without a proper support contract in place.

Sorry to say so, but you shouldn't learn people how NOT to do their job.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA