Re: JDBC DB Connection with Eclipse 3.2 and Oracle 10g Express

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2006 13:15:38 -0800

dshitzu wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to connect to a newly downloaded and installed Oracle 10g
> Express database via MyEclipse. I need to define a connection URL. The
> name of the database I want to connect
> to is 'HR' (the sample that comes with the installation). The username
> is 'SYSTEM' and the password is 'wgb1454'. I'm assuming the driver is a
> 'thin' driver (see the URL below). The driver's
> package is oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver found in the ojdbc14.jar.
>
> jdbc:oracle:thin_at_//localhost:1521:HR,SYSTEM,wgb1454
>
> I'm also unable to connect via port 8080. The database is up and
> running. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HR is the *schema* name, not something identifying the database. For the thin driver you need the *SID* of the database. The SID of any XE database is XE.
All of which of course is documented in the XE documentation up at http://otn.oracle.com, including a 'Getting Started' Manual, which you obviously didn't bother to read.
The username is obviously als NOT SYSTEM, but HR.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA