Client applications for Analytical Workspace

From: Davebrown <davidb1835_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2006 11:41:07 -0700

Oracle provides Discoverer to query the Analytic Workspace. Discoverer looks like a pretty good front end -- especially because it handles both relational and OLAP data. Are their other applications that can get to the OLAP data?

I understand that you can write custom Java applications that can query OLAP data directly or you can create SQL views that access the OLAP data on behalf of any client application.

But we don't do any Java development here and so we cannot plan on developing our own options because we don't have the expertise. And so I have a nagging concern that there are limited packaged products that can access the OLAP data. Am I wrong? Are there other non-Oracle products that can query the AW directly?

Also, can anybody tell me about the OLAP options in the SQL syntax that provide access to the OLAP data? Specifically, if you query one of these views and your query includes a group-by clause and aggregate functions, does the view use the OLAP engine to generate the result set? Or does the view deliver the detail data to the Oracle relational engine, which then processes a relational query? In other words, can a SQL view provide access to the detail table but let the OLAP options do the "query-rewrite" that would bring back the summary data OLAP-fast?

I appreciate your help,
David Received on Mon Aug 07 2006 - 20:41:07 CEST

Original text of this message