Re: I can't find a SETUP.EXE in the SQL Plus Client ??

From: D. Patrick <replywithinthegroup_at_thenotreal.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:52:32 GMT

[Quoted] >>>>> D. Patrick wrote:

>>> Based on what you've written you have absolutely no business trying to
>>> connect (I'd use the word hack or crack) into the server. If the people
>>> that paid for the Oracle license can't provide a technical person to
>>> provide you with the correct tool and the required configuration file
>>> you are in need of being referred to law enforcement officials not
>>> Oracle resources.
>>>

>>> This may be a bit of an over-reaction to what you wrote but I take
>>> security seriously, I hope everyone does, and a non-technical person
>>> has no business authorizing you to do anything. Only a DBA should be
>>> giving you server names/IP addresses and only a DBA should give you a
>>> user-id and password.
>>>

>>> I encourage everyone else to not help this poster unless there is some
>>> reason to believe this is anything but an attempt at a break-in.
>>> --
>>> Daniel A. Morgan
>>> University of Washington
>>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>> (replace x with u to respond)
>>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>>> www.psoug.org
>>

>> Wow.  Next time you need help, just remember how you dish it out
>> yourself. I'm only asking about which is the right file to download
>> because this one had no SETUP.EXE file.   I didn't realize I was asking
>> for your kids' names and social security numbers!
>>
>> By the way, if a DBA set up a user account and password for a hacker,
>> they have bigger problems than me.  And if a hacker was as dumb with
>> Oracle as me, then there is no risk.   So:  will someone please just tell
>> me what file to download that has a setup file I can run?
>
> My point was, and remains, that if you are supposed to be accessing
> the database then the DBA should be involved and would provide you
> with the appropriate tool and connection information.
>
> If you can't ask the DBA for help it equates, in my mind, with being
> a hacker. I've yet to meet the DBA that didn't want to make sure
> someone connecting to their database had the correct tools and the
> correct configuration.
>
> If the DBA won't help you ... there is a reason. Likely a good one.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

The problem is more that I'm going through multiple layers of people and vendors, and no one is technical enough to advise about connectivity issues. I'm a SQL Server tech and able to help with tech issues related to sql syntax, but just not familiar with Oracle. Received on Wed Jun 21 2006 - 18:52:32 CEST

Original text of this message