Re: I can't find a SETUP.EXE in the SQL Plus Client ??

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:43:16 -0700

[Quoted] >>>> D. Patrick wrote:

>>> There is no documentation with that download.  There is just a 2 sentence
>>> read-me file which doesn't address anything but a bug.
>>>
>>> I will connect through TCP/IP through a firewall.
>>>
>>> I just want to install the SQL Plus client tool for executing a few SQL
>>> statements.  I can't get any software from the remote person because my
>>> contact is not technical, and it shouldn't matter if the client tool is
>>> available for download anyway.  Can anyone help?

>> Based on what you've written you have absolutely no business trying to
>> connect (I'd use the word hack or crack) into the server. If the people
>> that paid for the Oracle license can't provide a technical person to
>> provide you with the correct tool and the required configuration file
>> you are in need of being referred to law enforcement officials not
>> Oracle resources.
>>

>> This may be a bit of an over-reaction to what you wrote but I take
>> security seriously, I hope everyone does, and a non-technical person
>> has no business authorizing you to do anything. Only a DBA should be
>> giving you server names/IP addresses and only a DBA should give you a
>> user-id and password.
>>

>> I encourage everyone else to not help this poster unless there is some
>> reason to believe this is anything but an attempt at a break-in.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
>

> Wow.  Next time you need help, just remember how you dish it out yourself.
> I'm only asking about which is the right file to download because this one
> had no SETUP.EXE file.   I didn't realize I was asking for your kids' names
> and social security numbers!
>
> By the way, if a DBA set up a user account and password for a hacker, they
> have bigger problems than me.  And if a hacker was as dumb with Oracle as
> me, then there is no risk.   So:  will someone please just tell me what file
> to download that has a setup file I can run?

My point was, and remains, that if you are supposed to be accessing the database then the DBA should be involved and would provide you with the appropriate tool and connection information.

If you can't ask the DBA for help it equates, in my mind, with being a hacker. I've yet to meet the DBA that didn't want to make sure someone connecting to their database had the correct tools and the correct configuration.

If the DBA won't help you ... there is a reason. Likely a good one.