Re: Expert tunning Database

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:38:00 +0200

On Thu, 25 May 2006 13:09:37 +0200, Robert Klemme <bob.news_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>> On 25 May 2006 01:49:52 -0700, "rmli" <rmurrali_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Expert tunning Database
>>>
>>> http://quickdba.blogspot.com/2006/05/oracle-expert-tuning-secrets_22.html
>>

>> How expert would that be if even the word tuning is spelled
>> incorrectly
>
>"And when you access tables in a transaction system exclusively through
>range scans in primary-key indexes, reorganizing the tables with the
>CTAS method should be one of the first strategies you use to reduce I/O.
>By physically sequencing the rows in the same order as the primary-key
>index, this method can considerably speed up data retrieval.
>Like disk load balancing, row resequencing is easy, inexpensive, and
>relatively quick. With both techniques in your DBA bag of tricks, you'll
>be well equipped to shorten response times-often dramatically-in
>high-I/O systems."
>
>Wow!
>
>I'm also missing the word "measure" on that page - maybe that's what he
>means by "secret": it's his secret how one determines the cause of bad
>performance...
>
> robert

[Quoted] Apart from that, the procedure above is just yet another myth, as the table isn't going to stay organized.
[Quoted] So the real question is, why is the OP advocating this non-functional method, which doesn't resolve anything on a *structural* basis (other than keeping him employed)

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA