Re: Utilities For Viewing/Editing?

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:57:39 -0700
> I am new to oracle and would like to know if oracle server 9 and 10
> come with any utilities to get a table view / form with cursor
> capablilties. A tool such as Informix's isql and dbaccess gives you a
> simple menu drivin program in an xterm window. You can generate table
> forms for querying, iterating over resultsets, and modifying data.
> Through the menus you can select different database instances to work
> with, alter tables, view table schemas, view indexes, type in queries,
> and so on.
> These tools are simple text based tools (no fancy GUI), that run in an
> xterm.
> Does oracle 9 and 10 come with anything similar?
> Joe

Given you are using Oracle 9 and 10 ... cursors are passe. What you should be learning is array processing (bulk collection, bulk binding). Take a look at the Array Processing demo in Morgan's Library at

If you are looking for a tool for building simple front-ends take a look at SQL*Developer (download for free from, Oracle Forms, and JDeveloper.

Daniel A. Morgan
(replace x with u to respond)