Re: TO_DATE function causes table scan

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:06:07 +0200

dhart_at_t2systems.com wrote:
> Thanks very much for the link, I'll give it a read!
>
> I'm definitely not obessed with the index, and I know 3500 rows is
> nothing. I should have been more specific in my last post on why I need
> the index to work: When in production this table will grow at the rate
> of about 10,000 rows a day so I need to know if the query is going to
> use the index or not.

No, you do not.

Let the database do what databases do best. If Oracle finds that an index will be better, it will use it. If it finds it is a waste of time, it will not use it. If there is an index, updates will be slower (table + index to update).

When you can *prove* Oracle wrong, start thinking what you missed; one option has been mentioned: statistics.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...