Re: TO_DATE function causes table scan

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:11:05 -0500

<dhart_at_t2systems.com> wrote in message news:1143812753.260934.116020_at_g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
: Thanks very much for the link, I'll give it a read!
:
:
: After some initial research I was worried that using the TO_DATE in the
: where would cause Oracle not to use the index on the ALM_DATE column.
: Could someone tell me definititively that this is or is not the case?
: Function Based Indexes don't work with TO_DATE because it's not
: deterministic, so using FBI's won't solve this particular problem --
: unless I've done it wrong -- suggestions are welcomed :)
:

that's not the case, and AFAIR, you already proved it by testing with a date variable and getting the same execution plan (which you have not yet posted)

also, FBIs are for when you use an expresson on the column being searched, not for the search expression

++ mcs Received on Fri Mar 31 2006 - 16:11:05 CEST

Original text of this message