Re: Tool to check why queries miss results?

From: Andreas Koch <nospam_at_kochandreas.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:51:22 +0100

[Quoted] DA Morgan wrote:

[Quoted] >> The tool doesn't have to "expect" anything - thats what
>> the user input is for.

> So the user would go to the tool and input all of the things
> that are supposed to result from the query before the query
> is run? Sounds like you'd need a query to know that.

[Quoted] Ah ok, so you aren't just flaming, it seems i didn't make clear enough what the tool is supposed to do.

[Quoted] Forget the missing constraint. That was just an example and i HOPED that would make things easier to understand. Seems it only confused people more.

Given :
An application that is of course much much more complex than the example i've given. Lets say 1.000.000 lines of SQL functions and views, written by many developers over many years.

All tables have perfect constraints and all data is perfectly consistant.

One query is expected to return certain values, based on its creators understanding of the tables and views used in it.

[Quoted] That person may have misunderstood some tables or views, or some tables or views may have changed later without correctly checking for every possible side effect this may have on all statements.

[Quoted] So, the query returns some results but not all results THE USER OF THAT STATEMENT WOULD EXPECT. [Quoted] So, he tells the magic tool:

  1. This is the Query i executed
  2. This is what results i got (the tool can get that itself of course)
  3. This is a value i would have expected to get, but didn't.

[Quoted] I don't look for such a tool because i couldn't debug such a problem by hand. I look for such a tool because i'd prefer to debug such a problem in 5 seconds instead of 5 hours. And if there is no such tool out there, i'll probably go and write one myself, sooner or later. Received on Mon Mar 06 2006 - 18:51:22 CET

Original text of this message