Re: Tool to check why queries miss results?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:37:45 -0500

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1141664338.94012_at_jetspin.drizzle.com...
: Andreas Koch wrote:
: > DA Morgan wrote:
: >
: >
: >> And why would any person expect London much less a tool.
: >
: > A person would expect London because the query is intended
: > to show all customers, and their cities and businesses.
:
: How would the tool know that?
:
: > "We have a customer in London, why isn't he on the list!"
:
: Because your SQL statement is poorly written. How is the
: tool supposed to know you didn't intend the result you got?
:
: > The tool doesn't have to "expect" anything - thats what
: > the user input is for.
:
: So the user would go to the tool and input all of the things
: that are supposed to result from the query before the query
: is run? Sounds like you'd need a query to know that.
:
: >> If someone doesn't have the requisite skills to write a
: >> SQL statement they should just learn how to say "Do you
: >> want fries with that?"
: >
: > Yea, banish all debuggers for real cool guys don't ever
: > make errors.
:
: I don't try to tune my Jaguar. I go to someone that has that
: expertise and talent. I don't make sails for my boat either.
: I go to someone with the expertise and talent. If you can't
: write a good SQL statement then perhaps the problem does not
: reside with the tool du jour.
: --
: Daniel A. Morgan
: http://www.psoug.org
: damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
: (replace x with u to respond)

let me venture a guess on where the OP's question fits into a real-world scenario...

[_] a test is designed with well-defined inputs and expected outputs [_] the actual output is (automatically) compared to the expected output

[Quoted] that's not an unusual procedure, though rarely practiced

++ ,cs Received on Mon Mar 06 2006 - 18:37:45 CET

Original text of this message