Re: Strange behaviour calling stored procedure from Pro*C

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:40:17 +0100

On 16 Feb 2006 05:42:57 -0800, "william" <ewilliam_at_singnet.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the advise. the MERGE does fix the problem with the missing
>records in the loading. Actually, the stored procedure to INSERT/UPDATE
>the summary table was from Oracle7. now we migrated our application to
>use 10g...
>
>Now, I find that there is a performance problem. When MERGING my
>temporary table (create global temp t1 .. on commit delete rows) to my
>partitioned summary table, loading is extremely slow. can i index my
>temp table? my partitioned summary table is around 8 million records..
>how can I improve the performance of merging 15000 (records created
>hourly) to my 8 Million records partitioned by day? What are the things
>I should look at to improve the loading? The usual loading takes less
>than 1 minute ... now it seems that it is running forever.
>
>the file that I am loading is a binary file and needs derivation and
>computation before loading so the externable table will not be
>apropriate for this.

Your questions are just way to generic, and expect am I looking over your shoulder and can see what you are doing. The partitioned table can possibly have tons of indexes. Who can tell?

[Quoted] I don't think globally temporay tables can be indexed. External tables can't

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA